Meal Prep Recipe 001: Cabbage with Ground Beef
This is one of my new favorite meal prep recipes. It's easy, healthy, tasty, and flexible on the macros.
My meal prep recipes don't come with fancy pictures or long stories. They are simple to follow and the picture will show what it looks like from the microwave.
Great headline. I love cabbage for meal prep because:
- It warms up great in the microwave
- It has tons of liquid and does not require much oil or other added fats
- You basically cannot overcook it and you can eat almost as much of it as you want without screwing up your macro goals (1 cup has about 22 kcal, 0g fat, 5g carbs, 1g protein)
- It's full of nutrients and improves digestion
- It tastes great!!
- It's cheap and easily available
- It stays good for a long time
This is one of those recipes where you can cook like your grandmother. Just estimate ingredients and taste while you cook. The process is also structured around being able to measure how much ground beef you want per meal prep. This is why we take the beef out and add it later again, using a scale. If you don't measure, just keep the ground beef in.
For 5 meal prep containers full of this fine meal, you'll need:
- about 2.5lbs ground beef (I go lean here, with 90/10)
- 2 large cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onions (buy this pre-packaged to save time)
- at least a cup of finely chopped or julienned carrots (pre-packaged, too)
- Tomato paste
- 1 of the small (14.5 oz?) cans of (fire roasted) diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tsp paprika
- salt, pepper, hot sauce, spicy stuff to taste
- tiny bit of oil for cooking
- Use the largest pot you have (seriously) and heat up a little bit of oil. Cook onions and add ground beef, cook it through and brown it a little. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take out the ground beef and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the carrots and cook until soft. Probably 3 minutes or so.
- Add all the chopped cabbage. Mix with vegetable stock, 3 tbsp of tomato paste, the chopped tomatoes and paprika. Add a little bit of salt and pepper, Mix it all up well. At this point, you can also add some hot sauce.
- Cook covered until the cabbage is soft. Remove cover and let liquids cook down.
- Once most of the liquid is gone, taste and add more salt, pepper and hot sauce as you like. Make sure there is some liquid left.
- In a third pot or bowl, mix desired amount of ground beef (I use 5 oz) with as much cabbage as you think will fit into your meal prep container. For me, that is about 3 large scoops from a soup ladle.
- Put a layer of cooked brown rice (I use 1 cup) on the bottom of your meal prep container and cabbage/beef mixture on top. Add some of the liquid for the rice to soak up.